can dogs eat grapes

Can Dogs Eat Grapes or Raisins?

can dogs eat grapes

Can your dogs have grapes? The answer is NO.

Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. Until more information is known about the toxic substance, it is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.

There’s no influence on dog breeds, gender or ages of the risk being affected, and there’s no proven amount that is safe, you shouldn’t be giving your pup grapes or raisins at all.

Grape/raisin toxicity can even be deadly unfortunately. Ingesting the fruit could potentially lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure in dogs.

Signs and Symptoms of Grape Toxicity

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Dehydration (signs include panting; dry nose and mouth; pale gums). A quick way to test for dehydration is to gently pull up on the skin at the back of your dog’s neck. It should spring back immediately.
  • Increased thirst and/or urine production or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
  • Kidney failure (which can be fatal)

What If Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?

Treatment is critical if you dog has ingested grapes or raisins. Contact your vet immediately, who may suggest you induce vomiting as soon as possible. However, you should not induce vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing, exhibiting signs of distress, is unconscious, or if you’re not sure what he has eaten.



  • It can happen so quickly! Little kids don’t understand this unless it is explained so please educate your friends. I know someone who lost their best friend because of this, the kids didn’t know!